Wednesday 24 April 2013

Some random time.

David Hurn with Don McCullin's Contact Sheet.



In last year I was so lucky that I can visited Magnum's Photographer David Hurn in Wales, and talked about his old friend Henri Cartier Bresson, why he is so special and always can catch the best “The Decisive Moment” in every single picture. “He is a Genius, most of the time he keep taking pictures, he never developed and printed the pictures by himself, he will gave this job to the people he trusted, and all he was doing is keep taking pictures.” saids David Hurn. 

Then we talked about one of the Henri Cartier Bresson's picture - Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare. I tell David Hurn that I am so impressed that Henri Cartier Bresson's can catch this best moment in a frame, is he lucky or what? And David told me this is not the “Lucky Shot”, “I did remember that I saw his contact sheet of this picture (means Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare), I am so surprised that people these days doubt that picture is a “Set Up Picture”, I know it is NOT because I read the contact sheet from Henri Cartier-Bresson for that picture.” David Hurn told me that Henri Cartier Bresson was actually stand in a same place and waiting people to jump over the water, he captured every best moment and choose the “Best of the Best” moment to become this most famous picture - “Behind the Gare St. Lazare.

I must said this is one of my greatest moment of visiting this great Magnum photographer. I learned so much from his experience and his thinking on photography. Photography really is a life time job, David Hurn still wake up early morning and work on his latest landscape project on almost everyday. I am so surprised about this because from what I see most of the young photography students theses days never touch their camera until they get new project or job from school. I still remember what David Hurn told us, he said 'Every job are the same, Photographers, Pianist, anyone. To able to become successful you will always need to practice, practice and more practice, and there is always no exception.'

Gift from Henri Cartier Bresson for David Hurn.
Thanks David for letting me take picture of this great picture, thanks again.



No comments:

Post a Comment